Sunday, April 20, 2014

Books and Easter, 1941 ...

It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, or in this case, the color scheme of her Blog. I just decided that Spring requires a lighter palette than the fiery red I recently introduced. I also like the bookshelves which adorn this template. They remind me of my own home and the books which overlow my libary. To celebrate this new look, here are a few notes designed to stir your curiosity:

BOOKS I'VE READ, PLAN TO READ OR CURRENTLY READING ...


READ the truly engrossing, wonderful book "THE GOLDFINCH" which has just been awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Distinguished Fiction By An American Author. The citation reads: Awarded to "The Goldfinch," by Donna Tartt (Little, Brown), a beautifully written coming-of-age novel with exquisitely drawn characters that follows a grieving boy’s entanglement with a small famous painting that has eluded destruction, a book that stimulates the mind and touches the heart.

PLAN TO READ: Senator Elizabeth Warren's new book "A FIGHTING CHANCE". I enthusiastically voted for this woman, and her dedication to the plight of the middle class in America is a marvel of tenacity and fearless opposition to those in Congress who would uphold the right of the wealthiest among us to control candidates and policy in America. I believe her when she says she is not a candidate for the Presidency. If it were up to me, I would advise Sen. Warren decline a potential invitation to appear on the Democratic ticket should Mrs. Clinton become the party's nominee, although they would be a powerful, possibly unbeatable combo.

CURRENTLY READING: "AMERICANAH" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Anchor Books) a work of fiction which deals with a Nigerian woman's experiences in America, her observations and perceptive conclusions concerning racial prejudice, governmental obstacles on two continents, educational and employment opportunities, family interactions and love affairs. I am three-quarters into this most absorbing work, and as with so many books with which I am fully engaged, I am hoping it will never end.

**************************** HAPPY EASTER **************************

Well, here we darlings are, sister Lois and I, either on the way to or just back from church on Easter Sunday morning, 1941. I remember those outfits were pink, and the bonnets were just the stylish touch my Mother favored whenever we attended church or some other formal occasion. We hated them.





No comments: