Thursday, March 31, 2016

Hear Ye, Hear Ye! It's officially on sale today!


This is the cover of the superb new cd featuring my good friend, master pianist Bill Charlap, along with his long-time colleagues bassist Peter Washington and drummer  Kenny Washington.  The melodies have been fastidiously chosen, are elegantly performed and convey instrumentally what New York City represents to so many: The Best of Everything.

It is available in general release tomorrow, April 1st, and I am certain you will share my all-consuming enthusiasm for this newest recording from Bill and his best buddies.   I was thrilled by his request to write the liner notes, so I am proud to have participated in this remarkable project.  I am also happy to know you will read my modest contributions.  The songs are:

     I'll Remember April (Gene DePaul/Don Raye)
     Make Me Rainbows (John Williams/Alan and Marilyn Bergman)
     Not A Care In The World (Vernon Duke/John LaTouche/Harold Adamson)
     There Is No Music (Harry Warren/Ira Gershwin)
     A Sleepin' Bee (Harold Arlen/Truman Capote)
     Little Rascal On A Rock (Thad Jones)
     Too Late Now (Alan Jay Lerner/Burton Lane)
     Tiny's Tempo (Lloyd "Tiny" Grimes)
     On The Sunny Side Of The Street (Dorothy Fields/Jimmy McHugh)

It is a thrilling recording in every respect.  Bill will be appearing in Boston on April 15th at The Regatta Bar, Charles Hotel Cambridge.  I will see you there.

*****************************

Another Significant Date for your calendar ...

     On Saturday, April 2nd, my good friend, the superior singer Donna Byrne brings her formidable talent to Rhode Island's singular music venue Chan's Egg Rolls and Jazz Club for one night of a delightful mix of swing and best ballads.  I know this is short notice, but if you reside in Southern New England, I think you might want to make the effort to see and hear her.  She enjoys a huge, loyal following in this region, and I'm pleased to forward this notice on her behalf.

********

     As for my extended silence, I can only say that I feel my two years in mourning, filled with grief and sadness, loneliness and some confusion have been difficult at times, but with the help of friends, blessed silence and serious introspection, I feel a new confidence and cheerful outlook for whatever comes. And SloaneView will appear in your mail box more frequently as well.  Thank you all for your patience.

-CS






   






3 comments:

Tommy Armstrong said...

Nice to see you show up in my mailbox. A steadfast fan from Frog and Nightgown time.


Tommy Armstrong
With the method of science , one beholds what is generally true about individuals, but art beholds what is uniquely true.
Walker Percy

Sloane said...

Tommy ... thanks for your note. Did you know a rather large reunion of The Frog & Nightgown is planned for August in Raleigh?

Sun Dry said...

This was my second time attending an event at this place, and was my first business event here (the other event was a charity show). Everything was perfect, the drinks and food was amazing. Even the coffee at venues in Houston was wonderful.