Monday, April 28, 2014

I left my heart in Providence, Rhode Island ...

It's such a pleasure to sing for an audience that truly loves jazz as much as I do. The Ballroom of The Providence Marriott Hotel was SRO yesterday afternoon, and as I made my way to the stage, some folks were standing to welcome me most warmly. My fellow Rhode Islanders were eager to hear the music, and I began the set in an up-beat fashion with "I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me" followed by a light bossa-feeling for "Where Or When". Here are some of the other songs I sang:

"I Didn't Know About You"
"Don't Be That Way"
"My Foolish Heart"
"How Could You Do A Thing Like That"
"You're Nearer"
"Love You Madly"

MIKE RENZI,piano; MARSHALL WOOD, b; GRAY SARGENT, g; and ARTIE CABRAL, dr. shared the stage with me and provided solid, swinging support every note of the way. Normally, these men (except for Artie) comprise the back-up group for all of TONY BENNETT'S gigs here and abroad, and I know TB loves and respects them as much as I do.

It's hard to describe the impact of a totally swinging jazz feeling when one is surrounded by it on stage. It must travel to the audience which yesterday most definitely "got it". I saw heads bobbing and feet tapping. I also saw rapt faces, some with tear-filled eyes when I was interpreting an emotional lyric such as the one for "Cottage For Sale" or "You're Nearer". That reciprocity, that acceptance, that sharing is what every singer hopes to accomplish.

Here are my sincere thanks to yesterday's audience. I had such a good time, and it would have been rather dismal if you all hadn't been there with me. May we all meet again very soon.

xoxo
-Carol Sloane

No comments: