Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Very Busy Week In New York ...

****** After all the stress and anxiety associated with the preparation for last week's work in New York, it is extremely satisfying to unpack and relax. It's especially pleasant to reflect on the superb musicianship and professionalism of all the people involved. The new cd for ARBORS RECORDS was recorded on May 6 & 7th and I'm eager to hear it. Let me explain that last remark: The truth is that the best thing to do with newly recorded material is let it rest for at least a week to ten days. If I listen to yesterday's work today, I guarantee I will detect significant flaws and hundreds of reasons to beg to do it all over again. I will listen to the two sessions over the weekend. I think the songs are good choices, and I KNOW the over-all feeling is light swing, much in the tradition of the great Lee Wiley. Musicians are Bucky Pizzarelli, Steve LaSpina (b), and Ken Peplowski.

It was exciting to be in the city that never sleeps, where I lived for over fifteen years. We enjoyed dinner at Patsy's, Frank Sinatra's favorite Italian restaurant where the staff is always cheerful and upbeat, and the food is the very best. We were given a sneak preview of some unpublished photos of Frank Sinatra taken by Bobby Banks in February, 1977. The photos will be on display at Patsy's from May 7th – May 21th. I also spotted famous author Philip Roth dining with a beautiful lady, and couldn't resist telling him (ever so briefly, of course) how much I admire his work.

May 8, 9 and 10 were spent at The Iridium Jazz Club with Ken Peplowski, Leader on clarinet and tenor, Warren Vache, trumpet; Ted Rosenthal, piano; Pat O'Leary, bass and Chuck Redd drums. The program's theme featured music associated with Benny Goodman in this, the Centennial of his birth. Very swinging stuff, of course, and I was proud to follow in the tradition of some of Benny's outstanding vocalists like Peggy Lee, Helen Ward, and Martha Tilton.

Will return to New York in two weeks for final editing of the recorded material and a photo shoot for the cover. Meantime, I've been asked to host a summer mini-film festival in a Rhode Island coastal community which will feature my all-time favorite black and white movies of the 1930's and 1940's. Details will follow.

I will now move to the other room to watch the second half of a crucial NBA confrontation which at the half stands Boston Celtics 37, Orlando Magic 45, with the series tied 2-2.

3 comments:

Carlos Azevedo said...

A big hello from Portugal!
I’m waiting for the release of the new CD, and I’m sure it will be, as always, amazing!
Kind regards,
Carlos

Carlos Azevedo said...

http://thecatscats.blogspot.com/2009/04/ouvindo.html

Rab Hines said...

Hey! Thanks for posting the shit thjat I wrote under Bruno's name. I try to libel him where I can, as a Nazi, gay asshole, and pedophile. Good laugh, eh? Hahahahahahahahaha!

Feel also free to check out my jazz blog

andifyouhadtwocoats
blogspot
com

Thousands of brand new jazz records, all available for free and extensive download! Fuck the RIAA! Download as many albums as you can.

Swingin'ly yours,

Rab