Monday, July 14, 2008

The Red Sox and Billy Strayhorn

****** The past week has been full of interesting meetings and discussions involving a new project. (Note: I am more inclined to enjoy the newly acquired title of Entertainment Consultant over actual performing.)

****** A new and rather spectacular venue is in the process of structural completion, and Buck and I have signed on to provide assistance in the selection of artists who may appear on its new stage. I will happily provide more details as they become available. (Sound like a CNN anchor.)

****** On a personal level, Buck's 75th birthday occurred on Friday, July 11, and a lovely family barbeque party was held at his son's home on the 12th. The arrival of his youngest grandsons (ages 7 and 5) visiting from Westchester County completely surprised him and fulfilled my intended mission: To see my husband surrounded by his entire family: five grandsons, son, daughter and their spouses. Lovely weather, great eats, beautiful birthday cake ... everything I dreamed it would be.

****** Boston Red Sox are back on top in the AL Eastern Division, and as we face the All-Star break, I do think summer is proceeding at much too fast a pace.

****** I am preparing to join an exceptional line-up of jazz luminaries on July 31 in New York (go here) The amazingly brilliant Bill Charlap is Artistic Director of the Jazz In July Festival at the 92nd St. Y, and I am extremely gratified to have been asked to participate in a program devoted to the music of Billy Strayhorn.

****** I hope you will continue to submit your comments. I very much enjoy reading them.

No comments: