Friday, June 20, 2008

Back Announcing ...

****** I have a perpetual bone to pick with radio personnel who fail to "back announce" the track I just heard and loved. I want to buy that cd! But I don't who the singer was or the title of the disc. Grrrrrr.

****** When I was a dj (at WGBH-FM in Boston and WICN-FM in Worcester), I always back announced and often listed all sidemen as well, thus incurring the wrath of more than one Program Director. I did it anyway.

****** In my last post, I cited a superb rendition of Rachmaninoff's "Vocalise" sung by Anna Moffo (June 27, 1932 - March 9, 2006). She was an Italian-American lyric-coloratura soprano admired for her lush, radiant voice and great beauty. Her rendition of Vocalise is flawless, and my rave review might prompt you to seek it out. Therefore, I take this opportunity to "back announce" it: "Rachmaninoff Vocalise", RCA Number 09026-63669-2, features Ms. Moffo and Evgeny Kissin, James Galway, and Rachmaninoff himself coducting the piece played by The Philadelphia Orchestra, among others. Thirteen tracks in all. Go and get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carol - What a nice group of remembrances of George Carlin, one of the three geniuses of modern comedy: Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, and Carlin. Thanks for sharing them with us. And you appeared together in a former church, with Duke Ellington replacing Jesus and Billie Holiday instead of Mary? - That's my kind of church!
As a contemporary of his (we were the same age, Irish Catholics growing up on the east coast), I obviously shared many of the same 20th century experiences with him. He'll be missed, and there'll never be anyone quite like him.

Jon Foley